When Everything is New


On Saturday, we hitched up our camper to Ed's truck, and pulled it to it's new home in Western North Carolina. That alone doesn't sound so bad. Except...

Ed had never pulled the camper before.

The truck had never pulled the camper up hill.

We hadn't even seen the lot we were supposed to be putting it in.

We didn't have jobs yet.

We were so new at living in the camper, that we couldn't even tell if the water tank was empty.

We literally did not know if we were going to make it.

Everything was terrifying that day. I had to laugh a few times just to avoid having a panic attack. At one point we got turned around looking for a gas station and ended up pulling the camper through the parking lot of a Target. Yeah. I don't know how we managed that one.

How are we supposed to find peace and comfort during these confusing times, where every experience is new and all things comfortable and familiar seem to wash away?

Well, scripture talks about that. I don't claim to be a teacher of the bible, but I can show you where I find my anchor during these hurricanes of life changes and new experiences.

For I know the plans I have for you”—this is the Lord’s declaration—“plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11, HCSB
Look at the way the character of God is revealed in this passage. If we believe in God's all-knowing sovereignty, and perfect love, than whatever happens to us must be done in love.

This is why I tell you: Don’t worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Isn’t life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the sky: They don’t sow or reap or gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren’t you worth more than they? Can any of you add a single cubit to his height by worrying? Matthew 6:25-34 HCSB

I look at this passage and it trains my heart to trust that I am not alone. The Lord is with me, and does not leave me to face the unsure circumstances of life by myself. He orchestrates all things. He has already set a plan into motion. When I understand that I am not in control of my life, than I can rest in the peace of knowing that He is.

I'm pretty sure that our truck was operating on equal parts gasoline and grace that day. We pulled into the site around 6, and the owner helped Ed back perfectly into the lot. I stood on the sidelines and watched in amazement as my new home was parked under the comfort of a strong old tree, and the sun turned the autumn leaves bright gold and crimson on the mountain behind us.

That night Ed opened one of my study bibles and read two or three verses out loud. I don't even remember what they were, although I know it was Ecclesiastes. But for some reason, I was immensely comforted inside that moment, knowing that the words I heard were truth and wisdom. These were truth's I trusted and I could anchor myself myself. Armed with truth, trust, and the wisdom of the bible, I felt peace. I hope you can too, no matter what new and unfamiliar things God brings into your life this year.

Happy Camping.


Unknown

7 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you guys! And I'm glad you're safe. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are so happy that we get to experience these things together.

      Delete
  2. Such a grand adventure! Anchoring oneself in truth does bring peace.

    Tammy
    www.simplypreparing.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that it's the only thing that works for a worrier such as myself. God reveals himself more everyday when we bend to his will and trust his sovereignty. (I love the premise of your blog, so cool!)

      Delete
  3. We made a similar move years ago to get here. I'd only seen our land once, and I'd never pulled a trailer before (I was in charge of pulling the stock trailer). The Lord gave me this verse - Isaiah 55:12 - and just like you said, it gave me such peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome. I'm so glad to hear of the Lord working in your life that way. We have so many fears that just shrink away when we take the time to compare them to his power.

      Delete
  4. Sounds so exciting! This is something my husband and I want to do so badly one day!

    ReplyDelete