10 Meal Ideas to Warm Up Winter




1. Squash Soup


If I have a squash lying around the house, that's pretty much a soup waiting to happen. Pumpkin soup  is one of my favorites to make. But almost any squash can be boiled, mashed, and whisked into chicken broth. Other great additions to this soup are sauteed onions, apples, sweet potato, and sometimes beans. If you have a favorite squash soup, please post a link to your recipe in the comments!


2. Potato Casseroles


Potato Casseroles are classic comfort food. You can layer your scalloped potatoes with cheese and ham for a delicious meal, or dice them and toss them with chicken and ranch dressing to switch things up a little. You can even mash them, layer them with stuffing, turkey, and gravy for a thanksgiving style casserole.

3. Crock Pot Stews


These are great for busy nights when you won't have time to cook! Don't forget to make a nice beef stew with carrots, onions, potatoes, and rosemary this season. A spicy sausage stew is easy to throw together as well. Just add an onion, some beef broth, a can of Rotel, and some pasta or rice to it. When dinner time comes, curl up on the couch with a blanket and enjoy!


4. Pot Pies


Pot pies are a festive and exciting way to celebrate cold weather. Few foods are more comforting, unified, and tasty. It's also a well balanced meal if you add a good amount of veggies. If you don't want to make the crust yourself, you can always get them very inexpensively in the refrigerator section of the grocery store. This is one of my favorite dishes!


5. Creamy and cheesy soups.


At my house, I am the queen of soups. Give me a bullion cube and a pantry full of odds and ends, and I can make a delicious soup you will never forget. This is why fall and winter are my favorite seasons to cook. Soups take on a fantastic richness when you add flavor with heavy whipping cream or cheese. Try a potato and corn chowder this season with Parmesan cheese, or with cheddar. While you are cheesin' it up, make a beer-cheese soup to pair with home made chicken wings or pita crackers.

6. Chicken Parmesan


Chicken Parmesan can be made so many different ways. I personally love a breaded chicken fillet atop a mound of saucy spaghetti with Parmesan and mozzarella baked on top. If you are a vegetarian, eggplant could be a good substitute for the chicken. Bake some garlic bread to go on the side and you have a perfect meal.

7. Spicy Curries 


The trick to a good curry is to have lots of sauce. Aside from using a generous amount of ghee while infusing the spices, I usually accomplish this with a can of coconut milk and/or a can of tomatoes. Many people add yogurt as well. I use onions, carrots, chicken, celery, and even cauliflower to make a good hearty curry. If you don't have your own spices to mix, you can always get curry powder at almost any grocery store.


8. Classic Roasted Veggies with Meat


I love filling a cookie sheet with diced potatoes, yams, squash, garlic and onion, and drizzling some olive oil, on top. If you love spices, try adding rosemary or sage as well. Bake at 400 for about an hour and serve with almost any meat. I pair this with chicken that has slow cooked in the crock pot all day. The next day, I throw all the leftovers together and make a soup!

9. Thanksgiving Soup


Speaking of leftover soup. I cooked a whole turkey in my sister's camper-sized-apartment-kitchen last year and made all the main courses of a thanksgiving meal, just to throw into a soup. I'm not kidding. turkey soup with gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and green bean casserole in it? Who in their right mind would say no to that? When I make this soup, I use my biggest pot, and freeze the leftovers. I usually have enough to last from thanksgiving till new years.

10. Chili and Bread Bowl


Chili is delicious any time of year, but to make it extra special this winter, pick up some round sourdough bread and carve out the centers of the loaves. Fill with chili, and top with gooey, melted cheese. No one is going to argue with argue with that, especially if it's paired with some nice fluffy winter socks, and hot chocolate or pie for dessert.

 Are you ready for winter? I can't wait!

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment